Monday, January 09, 2006

Quick Grammar Cheat Sheet

At the request of an author, I've decided to put a grammar cheat sheet together.

Below is a quick draft, which I'll revisit later.

I don't want to make this cheat sheet too long because it'll just be confusing and possibly intimidating, lol.

Maybe I'll do separate posts, including topics like subjects and predicates, auxiliary verbs, verb tenses, voices and moods, clauses, participles, geruns, infinitives and punctuation.

I'm no expert, but if there's anything particular you want to know, let me know and I'll try to address it.

There are 8 parts of speech: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.

Nouns are words used as names, so a noun names something: people, animals, places, objects, substances, qualities, actions, and measures.
Eg, Jane, dog, airport, stapler, dirt, courage, reading, centimeters

Pronouns are substitutes for names; they take the place of a noun or name.
Eg, he, she, it, them, mine, yours, these, those

Verbs make statements about nouns; they express actions, conditions, or states of being.
Eg, Oleafea was very happy. The soldiers charged the enemy.

Adjectives are words that modify a noun or pronoun; they describe nouns or pronouns.
Eg, talented writers, beautiful dancer, ugly lapdog

Adverbs are words that modify a verb, an adjective or another adverb. Adverbs usually answer the questions where, when, how, in what manner, or to what extent or degree.
Eg, You must do this now. Tom speaks elegantly. JBuL lives far.

Prepositions are words that show a relationship that exists between certain words in a sentence; they connect a noun or pronoun to some other word in a sentence.
Eg, The troll lived under the bridge. We went over the hill. He bought groceries from the store.

Conjunctions are words that connect or link other words or a group of words.
Eg, Jamie and Ethan, one or two, slowly but steadily.

Interjections are exclamatory words; they express strong feelings or sudden emotion.
Eg, Ouch! I hate coffee!

1 Comments:

At 11 February, 2013 00:14, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you this is very helpful! I only wish this post included an image so that I could 'pin' it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home