School Reunions
Okay, I admit it: I'm not much of a social animal. As my blog name and description suggest, I am, and always have been, more at home among my books, with close friends and family.
Imagine my feelings last night when I found a notice for the 20th anniversary of my escape from secondary school...
Um, no thanks!
As a concept, I have no problem with school reunions. I understand that it is a way to relive the joys (and pitfalls!) of those formative years, to connect again with people we've lost track of over time and to network. And, of course, it is a way for people to show off what they've achieved and whom they've married, whether as an opportunity to prove others were wrong about them or simply because they need the validation. But aside from the stress of demanding school work, I did not experience any of the angst or peaks/troughs that is so often depicted in films. I do not have anything to prove.
I think this means I've been very fortunate. Many of my coworkers and acquaintances would and do disagree. It doesn't much bother me, but it is perplexing: am I somehow deficient because my perspective is different from theirs, because my experiences have not followed 'tradition'?
By and large, I have kept in contact with my friends from school. Of those I was close to then, only 3 are no longer in communication with me. Coincidentally, the gradually decreasing letters and phone calls eventually became the final breaks around the same time, about 6 years after we left school.
There was no drama involved. No betrayal of trust. We simply pursued different interests and all of us moved far from home. Long distance relationships, be they platonic or romantic, can be very difficult to maintain. That is to say, it's not impossible, but it does take time, patience and effort... sometimes the friendship or partnership doesn't survive through no fault of anyone involved. It just is.
I have few regrets. After all, the person I am today has been shaped by more than a brief time period of adolescent longings and fears, joys and triumphs. I might have taken a different path than most, but it seems to me that that is a good thing.




2 Comments:
High school reunion. Omigosh, while reading your post I realized that my HS graduation was FORTY years ago this spring.
I was just happy to leave my HS; my junior year the school district opened a new high school and about a third of our class went there, including the people I was the closest to.
A few years ago someone with whom I attended junior high and high school, but who wasn't a close friend or anything, got my email address and started emailing me. I really didn't have anything to say to her, hadn't seen her since HS graduation, and wasn't all that responsive. She literally pestered me, I think I finally just said I really didn't see the point in our having a regular email correspondence.
And it was all my fault, for thinking that maybe I should be in touch with my HS class in general, there were some nice people in it. So I signed up for the free membership on classmates.com or whatever that site is. Which is where whats-her-name found my email address.
I quickly unsubscribed from that site. And no doubt am missing that wonderful chance to be invited to the 40th class reunion. Somehow I'll just have to stand the pain. :-)
40 years ago, Suz? I never would have suspected. You look wonderful, lady! ;0)
I do not respond to mail solicitations from my school and avoid the online sites that so many alumni associations have opened up precisely because I wish to avoid any pestering from people I don't desire to have contact with. Four fifths of those I wanted to remain in communication with I still do, so there's no overriding need or desire to go back to my old stomping grounds.
I hope the nice people you wanted to get back in touch with will find you and that whats-her-name has lost track of you, esp now that you've moved. :-D
Post a Comment
<< Home